A few weeks ago, in an attempt to make my food purer I decided to ditch store bought spices in favor of hand ground spices. I noticed that the it I ground at home smelled and looked better than the one I bought from the store. It even made the food taste better. Although I knew it has a plethora of health benefits, I wanted to know a bit more about this spice. I looked up some health benefits of turmeric and have come to believe it’s a wonder spice.
1. It’s a natural antiseptic so use it on your skin for cuts and wounds. In fact, go out and get a tube of our very own Vicco Turmeric Cream :). It also helps in healing damaged skin and even psoriasis.
2. I love that the Indian diet has it in pretty much every dish. We end up eating healthy by default. Turmeric inhibits the spread of prostate and breast cancer.
3. It’s is a natural detoxifier and aids in weight-loss!!! Add a pinch to some lemon water.
4. It has anti-inflammatory properties so it’s good for arthritis, gout etc.
5. For clean skin and a healthy glow: Mix a pinch of turmeric with a handful of gram flour and use it as a scrub. Beware – too much turmeric and you’ll look yellow instead of golden, so stick to a pinch. (Tried and tested!)
6. It helps in combating high cholesterol, diabetes, cold, flu and menstrual cramps. Which explains why turmeric tea has become so popular of late.
Be careful not to overdo anything though. Too much of a good thing is also not good. Incorporate turmeric slowly but consistently in your diet or skin care regime and give it time. The benefits will be gradual, but worth the wait.