Marichyasana (The Spinal Twist)
- Sit on the floor with legs extended out in front of you. Make sure your toes point straight up and knees are pushed into the ground. Make sure your back is absolutely straight.
- Start with the right leg. Bend the right leg at the knee and place the right foot on the inside of the left knee.
- Take the right hand and place it behind you so that your torso also twists to the right.
- Keep the left arm straight and elbow locked and place the elbow on the outside of the right knee. Hold on to the left knee.
- Now push slightly with the left arm and deepen your twist. Exhale as you do so.
- Look over your right shoulder.
- Repeat on the left side as well.
- This pose can also be performed without crossing the bent leg over to the inside of the other knee.
- Instead of holding the opposite knee you can also just keep your elbow bent
- Great for digestion.
- Helps flush toxins out of your system.
- Revitalizes you.
- Helps in reducing the fat around the sides and therefore gives shape to your body.
- Tones and massages the abdominal organs.
- Helps to improve the functioning of liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and intestines.
- Helps to relieve backache.
- Relieves lumbago.
- Increases the flexibility of the neck and shoulders.
- Helps to improve the alignment of the spinal cord and keeps it supple.
- Cures indigestion.
- Relieves flatulence.
- Do not practice if you have diarrhoea.
- Pregnant women shouldn’t practice this asana.